The Climate Action and Low Carbon Development (Amendment) Bill 2020 has been published.
Published: 7th October 2020
The Climate Action and Low Carbon Development (Amendment) Bill commits us, in law, to move to a climate resilient and climate neutral economy by 2050.
The Programme for Government commits to a 7% average yearly reduction in overall greenhouse gas emissions over the next decade, and to achieving net zero emissions by 2050. This Bill will drive implementation of a suite of policies to help us achieve this goal.
The Bill brings in a system of 5-year economy-wide carbon budgets, which will outline a ceiling for total greenhouse gas emissions. These will be prepared by the Climate Change Advisory Council and presented to Government to consider and approve, with input from the Oireachtas.
The Bill includes the following key elements:
- Establishes a 2050 emissions target
- Introduces system of successive 5-year, economy-wide carbon budgets starting in 2021
- Strengthens the role of the Climate Change Advisory Council in proposing carbon budgets
- Introduces a requirement to annually revise the Climate Action Plan and prepare a National Long Term Climate Action Strategy at least every decade
- Introduces a requirement for all Local Authorities to prepare individual Climate Action Plans which will include both mitigation and adaptation measures
- Gives a stronger oversight role for the Oireachtas through an Oireachtas Committee
This legislation sends a clear signal to businesses, to farmers and to our communities that climate action is good for the economy. It will allow us to reach our climate targets while creating jobs and sustainable growth in new sectors.
To read the Climate Action & Low Carbon Development (Amendment) Bill 2020, click here:
|Climate Action and Low Carbon Development (Amendment) Bill 2020.pdf (494.79 KB)|