- Midlands Advanced Manufacturing Action Plan 2021-2024 launched by Minister Robert Troy
9th July 2021
- The Third Progress Report of The Just Transition Commissioner Published
9th July 2021
- Minister Troy launches MidlandsIreland.ie Regional Food & Drink Strategy 2021-2024
6th July 2021
- National Just Transition Fund Strand 1 Briefing Series now available to view
29th June 2021
- Center Parcs is to invest €85m to expand its Co Longford Forest Resort, with the creation of 250 permanent jobs and a further 300 during construction.
15th June 2021
- Taoiseach Micheál Martin, Tánaiste Leo Varadkar and Minister Eamon Ryan today launched the Economic Recovery Plan 2021 to achieve rapid job creation and economic growth after the pandemic.
1st June 2021
Welcome to MidlandsIreland.ie
The Midlands of Ireland is a thriving, vibrant region with opportunities for living, learning, enterprise and tourism. Encompassing the counties of Laois, Offaly, Longford and Westmeath, it is home to almost 292,000 people.
The landscape of the Midland Region is diverse, dominated by the River Shannon and its callows along the western boundary, interspersed with the lakes, wetlands, bogs, agricultural lands and eskers throughout the central area, the upland area of Slieve Bloom Mountains to the south and the rolling landscape of the Barrow and Nore valley to the south east.
The Midland Region has much to offer the tourist, from both a land based and water based perspective, natural heritage, archaeology, architecture, festivals and food are important land-based associations. Water based visitors can enjoy the River Shannon, the Grand and Royal canals, and the numerous lakes throughout the region which offer opportunities for outdoor activities and pursuits including boating angling, canoeing, cycling, walking and wildlife watching. Associated attractions include Lough Ree Environmental Summer School and the monastic sites of Clonmacnoise, Fore, Ardagh and the islands of Lough Ree. The wetland areas of Lough Boora Parklands and the Slieve Bloom Environmental Park present an innovative way for tourists to interact with the unique landscape of the peatlands.